Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Art Of Transition

As soccer players, we're very familiar with transition. We hear the word all the time when it comes to on-field tactics. And whether we are conscious of it or not, transition is a large and unavoidable part of life off the field as well. Personally, I dread transitions off the field. I like to get into a routine and to break that routine and uproot my life is painful. It's probably my least favorite part of being a professional player, but something I've had to deal with and learn to do as well as possible.

How can we take what we've learned on the field about transition and apply it to life outside the game?

The first important element of transition in soccer, whether it's from offense to defense or vice versa, is to recognize it as a moment of transition. If we're unaware, we will not be able to stifle any impending danger or take advantage of what may be an opportunity to capitalize on the opposition's weakness. Similarly, in life we need to identify when we are entering times of transition. Those times may be seasonal, have to do with changing teams or classes in school, or may be larger life transitions like moving to a new place or starting a new phase of your life all together.

As a professional player, I deal with transition frequently. The times when I'm aware that I'm about to enter a transitional stage always make it smoother and easier. I am able to prepare mentally, physically, and plan appropriately for the transition I will soon face. Right now I'm getting ready to move back to Kansas City to start preseason. I'm very aware of the transition I'm about to undergo. More than packing, I need to mentally prepare to say goodbye to friends, my boyfriend, and leave the place I've called home for the past six months. It's certainly not an easy thing to do and by acknowledging how I do (and will) feel, it allows me to address those feelings and not get blindsided by them on the day of my departure. I usually get very stressed out before a big move. The temporary end of the lifestyle I've worked to establish for the last six months gives me anxiety. I now am aware of that and know that when I feel those things for the week or two before my moving day, it's important to try to keep them from affecting me and the people around me in a negative way.

On the field, once you are aware that it's a moment of transition, the next important step is to remain focused and engaged as the switch happens. If we're attacking and lose the ball, we're always taught "don't shut off." It's important to stay tuned in and begin to defend immediately and try to win the ball back. Likewise, if you have just won the ball, that isn't the time to relax. It's actually the moment to be most aware because the other team will be in close proximity trying to win the ball back and if you attack quickly, they will be least prepared.

In my current transition from offseason to preseason, it isn't good enough for me to just think, "Ok, I recognize I'm in a time of transition." I need to stay focused on the important tasks at hand that will make this transition a successful one. I view my transition as two-fold. There's the leaving part, and then the arrival in my new environment. I'll pack up my car next weekend and drive to Kansas City with my dad. Right now I'm focused on tapering down the volume of my training so I can be fresh physically to start preseason. During the two days it will take me to drive there, I will rest my body completely, then it will be important to get out and move a bit after being cramped up in the car, before we start our team training sessions.

In soccer, the team that is able to transition the quickest and most efficiently will have the most success and likely win the game. In life off the field, it's no different. The more prepared you are and the quicker you are able to recognize a change, react, and then get used to the new environment, the better off you'll be.

When I arrive in Kansas City, it'll be important for me to get back into my lifestyle there as quickly as possible. Because I played there last season, it'll be much easier for me than the times I've moved to places where I had never lived. I am familiar with my teammates, the coaching staff, the general area, training fields, locker rooms. All of this will help to make the transition a lot smoother. Still, I will have to get used to a new routine--living in a new apartment with different people, shopping at a different grocery store, a different sleep schedule and training, and a lot of other things. The quicker I can establish my new routine, the better off and more relaxed I'll be (even on the field).

Transition truly is an art. Just like in soccer, it's easy to talk about the proper way to do it, but hard to execute it well. Some people are naturally good at exploiting moments in the game when there is chaos. Similarly, some people love a new adventure and are ok with their routines being thrown off from time to time. I prefer rhythms that I know and expect so for someone like me, this takes work!

I'd love to know how you feel about transition. Comment below and let me know what's the hardest transition you've faced. What are some of the ways you've found to cope? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Helenna. I've had to transition a lot both on and off the fieled because as a child I moved from Jamaica to North Carolina, and then to Miami, FL, and the to Canada, back to FL and now I live in Zagreb, Croatia! I played soccer everywhere I went, and here in Europe i've played on several club teams and also the Croatian National Women's team. My hardest transition was when I was 15 and made the move from Miami to Canada mostly because of my age, at that point I started to bond with my best friends and I was enjoying soccer the most on my travel team, so leaving all of that felt life-changing at that moment. However, after going through a few big moves i've gotten used to making that transition and coming to Europe was a decision I made on my own which went quite smoothly. Eventually I will probably make the transition back to the US, but for now I have been promoting women's soccer over here since it is pretty under appreciated and girls don't have even close to as much opportunities or privileges as the guys do!

    ReplyDelete

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014 - 2016. All images © their owners. Do not copy this site. Blogger Powered.